Low Transmission Fluid
The Vehicle gets the smooth drive and runs efficiently at different speeds with an optimum level
of transmissionfluid. Generally, Gearbox and gear oil both terms are used alternatively for transmissionsystem and transmission fluid. Low Transmission Fluid can cause damage to transmissionsystem which is discussed below.
Transmission Fluid plays a very vital role in a transmission system for smooth operation & its performance. The transmission fluid also absorbs the heat which is produced in a transmission system by continuous running.
Transmission fluid in conventional gearbox
It is just filled within the gearbox upto the level. The Transmission system gets lubricated by itself in running condition. Fluid level must be on mark. Minimum level can damage the parts and maximum level reduces the performance of gear set.
Transmission Fluid in automatic gearbox
Fluid should be pressurized in this system for the torque convertor and to operate the gear set. This system is controlled by hydraulic means such as solenoids, valves. Dipstick test is there for checking the fluid level. Minimum level is more dangerous for this type of gearbox.
Low Transmission Fluid symptoms
- Hard Gear shifting
One can know this by changing the gear. No smooth gear operation is there and requires more efforts to shift the gear.
- Erratic noise while running
Low fluid level can cause the noise while the vehicle is in running condition.
- Slippage of gear
Slippage can happen or it gets increased with low transmission fluid.Gear life is reduced by that.
- Earlier or later gear engagement
This adverse is more occurred in semiautomatic or automatic gearbox. Gear shifting is done but because of low fluid level or pressure, its engagement is miss timed
- Wear and tear of the parts in the system
System will be damaged very badly once the wear starts happen. Replacement of worn parts can be very costly and well time consumed.
- Overheated Transmission system
The system is remained cool by Transmission fluid. If power loss, erratic shifts and noise occurs then the system has lower level of fluid and there is chance of overheat.
Precautions to be taken with low transmission fluid
- Check gear oil level and Its condition at the service station regularly. Maintenance processes should be done at service station. Minimum level indication should be considered and fill up the oil as required quantity.
- Change the transmission fluid when required or scheduled.
- Check gearbox for leakage. it is most important aspect because if it seems to low transmission fluid then there must be more chances of leakage. Oil seals are there on both sides for axle drive.if they got failure then leakage would be there.
- Use only recommended and specified fluid.
With every fluid, grade must be checked. Every company recommends different grades for transmission fluid. Temperature and Viscosity are specified by grade.